A festive and exciting opening ceremony for the University’s 40th Meeting of the Board of Governors celebrated “The Israeli Mosaic.”
Hundreds of guests in the audience watched as the University conferred honorary doctorates on nine individuals and celebrated the launche of the University’s Friends & Alumni Association. Leading members of Israel’s judiciary, business leaders, ambassadors, Knesset members, “Or Yarok” volunteers, and members of the University community attended to celebrate with the University.
As it does every year, the festive Opening Plenary for the Meeting of the Board of Governors attracted many distinguished guests. The ceremony began with a colorful academic procession of University leadership, University deans, the honorary doctorate recipients and those performing the ceremonial hoodings. The Degrees of Doctor of Philosophy, Honoris Causa, were conferred upon the following:
- Spanish Minister of Justice Alberto Ruiz-Gallardon;
- Nobel Prize Laureate Prof. Dan Shechtman;
- President of the Onassis Foundation Dr. Anthony S. Papadimitriou;
- Industrialist Benny (Benzion) Landa;
- Israeli singer Shlomo Artzi;
- Israel Supreme Court Justice Salim Joubran;
- President of the Trento Province of Italy Lorenzo Dellai;
- Youth mental health expert Prof. Patrick McGorry;
- Founder of “Or Yarok” Avinoam Naor (Aharonovich)
The second half of the evening was highlighted by the launch ceremony of the University’s new Friends & Alumni Association.
“The event was very exciting indeed. We can be very proud that nine such impressive individuals (honorary degree recipients) have joined the University of Haifa community and just as proud of our impressive cadre of alumni that is advancing the University’s values in society,” he said.
Fore more on the Opening Plenary, click here.